Hi Vis Shirts
Hi-vis shirts, short for high-visibility shirts, are a type of clothing designed to enhance the visibility of individuals in various industrial and work settings. They are typically made from fluorescent materials, often in bright neon colours such as yellow, orange, or green, and are highlighted with reflective strips or tape. These shirts are commonly worn by tradies and workers in industries where visibility is crucial for safety. In addition to their practical uses, hi-vis shirts have also become a fashion trend in recent years. Many people wear them as statement pieces or as part of their everyday outfits. This has led to an increase in the availability and variety of hi-vis shirts, with different styles, colors, and patterns now offered by various brands.
- Hivis Lightweight Ripstop L/S Vented Shirt$38.00 Incl. GST
- Lightweight Hi Vis S/S Vented Cotton Work Shirt$29.00 Incl. GST
- Lightweight Hi Vis L/S Vented Cotton Work Shirt$32.00 Incl. GST
- Hi Vis S/S Cotton Work Shirt With Reflective Tape$35.00 Incl. GST
- Hi Vis S/S Cotton Work Shirt With Press Studs$30.00 Incl. GST
- Hi Vis L/S Cotton Work Shirt With Press Studs$33.00 Incl. GST
- Hi Vis L/S Cotton Work Shirt With Industrial Laundry Tape$49.00 Incl. GST
- Hi Vis S/S Cotton Work Shirt$29.00 Incl. GST
- Hi Vis L/S Cotton Work Shirt$32.00 Incl. GST
- Mens Red Flame Hi Vis X Back Shirt$139.00 Incl. GST
- Mens Orange Flame Hi Vis Open Front Shirt - Hoop Taped$122.00 Incl. GST
Here's a brief overview of hi-vis work shirts and their purpose:
Purpose and Importance
Tradie shirts are worn primarily to increase the visibility of workers in potentially hazardous environments. The main goal is to make individuals more noticeable to others, especially in low-light conditions or areas with heavy machinery and moving vehicles. This increased visibility helps prevent accidents and ensures the safety of workers and those around them.
- Fluorescent Colours: Hi-vis work shirts are available in bright colours like yellow, orange, and green. These colours are highly visible even in daylight and can stand out against the background.
- Reflective Material: Reflective strips or tape are often added to the shirts. These materials reflect light from sources like headlights, making the wearer easily visible in the dark.
- Comfort and Durability: Hi-vis shirts are typically designed to be comfortable for extended wear, and they are often made from durable materials that can withstand the rigours of industrial work.
Hi-vis work shirts are commonly used in a wide range of industries, including but not limited to:
- Construction: Construction workers wear hi-vis shirts to be visible to heavy machinery operators and to each other on busy construction sites.
- Roadwork and Transportation: Road crews, traffic controllers, and truck drivers wear hi-vis shirts to ensure they are seen by motorists, especially in low-light conditions.
- Warehouse and Logistics: Workers in warehouses and distribution centres wear hi-vis shirts to improve safety and prevent accidents involving forklifts and other equipment.
- Emergency Services: Police officers, firefighters, and paramedics often wear hi-vis shirts as part of their uniforms to be easily spotted during emergencies.
Regulations and Standards
There are many regulations and standards governing the use of hi-vis apparel in specific industries. These standards often specify the minimum levels of visibility and reflectivity required for different types of work environments.
There are several types of hi-vis shirts designed to cater to specific needs and preferences in various industries. Some common types include:
- T-Shirts: These are lightweight and comfortable, suitable for warm weather or as an additional layer under other hi-vis clothing.
- Polo Shirts: Offering a more professional appearance, hi-vis polo shirts are often chosen for office or customer-facing roles in industries like transportation and logistics.
- Long-Sleeve Shirts: These provide added arm protection and are commonly worn in cooler climates or when workers need more coverage.
- Button-Up Shirts: Ideal for formal or dress code-compliant environments, button-up hi-vis shirts offer a polished appearance while maintaining safety standards.
- Class 3 Shirts: These shirts adhere to the highest visibility standards, typically featuring more fluorescent material and additional reflective tape. They are suitable for the most high-risk environments and low-light conditions.
- Wicking and Cooling Shirts: Designed for hot and humid conditions, these hi-vis shirts incorporate moisture-wicking and cooling technologies to keep workers comfortable while maintaining visibility.
- FR (Flame-Resistant) Shirts: For industries with fire hazards, flame-resistant hi-vis shirts are available to protect workers from heat and flames while ensuring visibility.
The choice of hi-vis shirt type depends on factors like the work environment, weather conditions, specific safety regulations, and personal comfort preferences.
Here are a few benefits of wearing hi-vis work shirts:
1. Enhanced Visibility
Hi-vis shirts are designed with bright, fluorescent colours and reflective materials, making workers highly visible in low-light conditions, thereby reducing the risk of accidents and increasing safety.
2. Accident Prevention
By ensuring that workers can be easily seen by colleagues, machinery operators, and motorists, tradie shirts help prevent workplace accidents, particularly in construction, roadwork, and industrial settings.
3. Compliance with Regulations
Wearing hi-vis shirts ensures compliance with safety regulations and standards set by occupational safety authorities and industry-specific organisations, reducing the risk of fines or penalties.
4. Increased Recognition and Identification
Hi-vis clothing makes it easier for supervisors and colleagues to identify specific workers quickly, facilitating communication and coordination on busy job sites or in emergency situations.
5. Improved Safety Culture
Promoting the use of hi-vis shirts fosters a safety-conscious workplace culture, where employees prioritise their well-being and the safety of their peers, leading to fewer accidents and injuries.
6. Protection Against UV Radiation
Some tradie shirts offer protection against harmful UV radiation from the sun, reducing the risk of sunburn and long-term skin damage for outdoor workers.
7. Professional Appearance
Hi-vis shirts come in various styles, including polo shirts and button-ups, allowing workers to maintain a professional appearance while complying with safety regulations.
Hi-vis shirts can be worn as standalone garments or as part of a layered outfit, making them adaptable to different weather conditions and work environments.
9. Heat Stress Reduction
Some tradie shirts are designed with cooling and moisture-wicking properties, helping workers stay comfortable in hot and humid conditions.
10. Protection in High-Risk Environments
Flame-resistant hi-vis shirts provide an additional layer of protection in environments where there is a risk of fire or exposure to flames.
Tradie shirts play a critical role in industrial safety by increasing the visibility of workers in various settings. Their fluorescent colours and reflective materials help prevent accidents and ensure that individuals are easily seen, especially in conditions where visibility is compromised. These shirts are a vital component of personal protective equipment (PPE) in many industries, contributing to workplace safety and reducing the risk of accidents.
Shop now or browse the range today.
WorkCraft Work Shirts
We offer only the most durable WorkCraft work shirts for the construction, infrastructure, manufacturing, transport & logistics, property maintenance & management industries, metal fabrication, engineering, and more. Every workwear in Melbourne you purchase from WorkArmour is reliable and affordable, and comes with our Quality and Service Promise.
Safe, Reliable and Comfortable Work Shirts
Work shirts in Melbourne need to perform to the highest standards and requirements across the industries we serve. Our products are all designed with the user in mind, with various styles, design, safety features, convenience, and durability to meet your requirements. Whether you need to keep cool in summer or warm in winter, we have a range of WorkCraft work shirts to ensure that you stay safe and comfortable getting on with your work. Our items offer SPF50+ sun protection, an important feature if you work under the Aussie sun.
Plus Size Work Shirts
We offer a huge range of sizing options to ensure that you can find workwear that fits you perfectly. Most of the men’s work shirts offer sizes upto 6XL and some to 8XL. Performance workwear needs to be comfortable, and our sizes enable you to select style and shapes that allow you to focus on your job with ease.
Lightweight Cotton & HI Vis Work Shirts
We supply high performance shirts, and whether you’re looking for hi-vis two-tone heavyweight solutions or lightweight short sleeves, you’ll be able to find what you need for year-round protection. To keep you cool in the Aussie heat, we have vented work shirts. We cater for both men and ladies fits. Our taped shirts use only the best quality reflective tapes and are suitable for Day Only use or Day/Night Use depending on your requirement. WorkCraft work shirts range also offers VicRail compliant shirts as well as work shirts with Bio-motion tape configuration. Our Hi Vis shirts comply with AS/NZS 1906.4: 2010 – High Visibility Materials, and AS/NZS 4602.1: 2011 – High Visibility Safety Garments.
Hi Vis Maternity Work Shirts
A simple and comfortable solution for women working during their pregnancy, designed for function, safety, and ease of wear. We offer WorkCraft maternity hi vis work shirts that complies with AS/NZS 1906.4: 2010 – High Visibility Materials, and AS/NZS 4602.1: 2011 – High Visibility Safety Garments
1. What do the different hi vis colours mean?
The different hi-vis colours serve specific purposes:
- Orange: Commonly worn by road workers, it signals caution and is easily distinguishable from natural surroundings.
- Yellow: Often used in general construction, it provides good visibility in daylight and is less affected by weather conditions.
- Green: Preferred by emergency responders, it contrasts well with red and blue lights, aiding quick identification.
These colours help workers stand out in their respective work environments.
2. What is considered a hi vis shirt?
A hi-vis shirt, short for high-visibility shirt, is typically a garment made from fluorescent materials, such as neon-coloured fabric, with added reflective strips or tape. It is designed to enhance the wearer's visibility, especially in low-light conditions or hazardous work environments. Tradie shirts are a key component of personal protective equipment in industries prioritising safety.
3. What are the three classes of hi visibility clothing?
Hi-visibility clothing is categorised into three classes based on visibility requirements:
Class 1: Offers the lowest level of visibility, suitable for low-risk environments, often with minimal traffic. Typically includes garments like vests.
Class 2: Provides moderate visibility and is recommended for medium-risk settings with higher traffic levels. Examples include vests with more reflective material.
Class 3: Offers the highest level of visibility and is designed for high-risk environments, such as construction sites and roadwork. These garments cover more of the body and have maximum fluorescent material and reflective elements.
4. What is the most common material for hi vis apparel?
The most common material for hi-vis apparel is polyester. Polyester fabrics are lightweight, durable, and moisture-wicking, making them suitable for a wide range of work conditions. They are also compatible with fluorescent dyes, allowing for the vibrant colours required for high-visibility clothing, and can easily incorporate reflective tape for added visibility.
5. Why do tradies wear hi vis?
Tradies wear hi-vis clothing for safety reasons. Hi-vis apparel makes them easily visible in construction, industrial, and roadwork settings, reducing the risk of accidents involving machinery or vehicles. It's a crucial part of personal protective equipment, ensuring their safety and compliance with workplace safety regulations.